Thursday, September 24, 2015

Trouble So Hard


This piece was inspired by Marian Anderson's "Nobody Knows De Trouble I've Seen". I was familiar with Moby's rendition of the song, but I prefer this one because there is a truthfulness that can be heard in the singer's voice.

In this drawing, I drew two "soul singers" from the 1920s/30s and used a colorful background with both warm and cool colors to parallel the warmth and energy that can be heard in the song with the melancholy messages the songs convey. 

Tony had sent me an article about Adrian Frutiger, a famous typographer, and I was inspired to practice more with my own typography skills. I looked through fonts online from the period, and chose to write (what I think is) the most important line from the song in a similar style. I made sure that the lettering is sans-serif, since Frutiger's most famous fonts are in this family.

When I look back at this piece, it is my least favorite of all the work I did in this course. The art depicts a woman and man who are from an entirely different place and time period; they seem like they would be more fit for city blues. I think this piece is one that I can use to look at now and see how far I've come. When I created this, I was not thinking about the context of the song, the people, the place, or the time. I look at the picture and have difficulty drawing parallels between the image I created and the meaning of the song. I also think that, while the font I chose may have been fitting for a jazzy/city blues type of song, it does not fit here. 

The piece just does not do "Trouble So Hard" justice. I should have thought harder about what I was listening to and how it related to the readings. The song is about the hardship that African Americans faced in America - the racism, cruelty, discrimination, and mistreatment. 


No comments:

Post a Comment