Thursday, October 8, 2015

Will the Circle Be Unbroken



I had a difficult time with this week's assignment, although I'm not sure why that is. I really enjoyed listening to and singing both "Banks of the Ohio" and "Will the Circle Be Unbroken". My favorite version of each is Doc Watson and Clarence Ashley's "Banks of the Ohio" and Johnny Cash's "Will the Circle Be Unbroken".  Needless to say, I could not get through Ollie Gilbert singing.

The songs this week were very dark and unsettling. I can't help but wonder what kind of hardship people were enduring that inspired such creepy, tragic songs. Tony asked in his blog "what was the Appalachian mindset", and the only thing I can think of is that peoples' lives were so dark and unpleasant, that the afterlife was what gave people hope. Although that doesn't quite solve the mystery as to why murder was such a common theme. It's unsettling to think that perhaps being murdered was a fantasy to some? Just a thought.


It was interesting to research the meaning behind "Will the Circle Be Unbroken" because there are so many interpretations of the lyrics. Most involve the singer asking whether his/her family will be whole once again in heaven.  There's something melancholy about the song, and it is the sense of hope that comes through in the lyrics. It seems the singer is hoping that his/her afterlife will be better than what he/she is experiencing now. 


I think perhaps the reason that I struggled with this piece is because I got too wrapped up in the lyrics. I felt that I could not relate to the song on a personal level because I am not religious, and the idea of there NOT being an afterlife scares me. I didn't take a risk in drawing this piece; in my opinion, it's just too lighthearted to fit the songs and the times. Not to mention the actual subject matter - a city. The relationship between what I drew and Appalachian history just isn't there.


I decided to draw a city because this represents where the singer is now; it is the familiar. I then cut cracks into the drawing to show that things are changing and to give a sense of unknown, as conveyed in the lyrics. I tried to show, through the distant perspective and cracks, that everything we know and see is limited to our world. There is so much unknown, and our universe is just a fragment of that.



Lyrics: (Johnny Cash)

Will the circle be unbroken?
Bye and bye, Lord, bye and bye
There's a better home awaiting
In the sky, Lord, in the sky

I was standing by the window
On a dark and cloudy day
When I saw the hearse come rolling
Oh, to carry my mother away

Will the circle be unbroken?
Bye and bye, Lord, bye and bye
There's a better home awaiting
In the sky, Lord, in the sky

Lord, I told the undertaker
Undertaker, please drive slow
For this body you are haulin'
Lord, I hate to see her go

Will the circle be unbroken?
Bye and bye, Lord, bye and bye
There's a better home awaiting
In the sky, Lord, in the sky

Well, I followed close behind her
Tried to hold up and be brave
But I could not hide my sorrow
When they laid her in that grave

Will the circle be unbroken?
Bye and bye, Lord, bye and bye
There's a better home awaiting
In the sky, Lord, in the sky

Will the circle be unbroken?
Bye and bye, Lord, bye and bye
There's a better home awaiting
In the sky, Lord, in the sky



No comments:

Post a Comment