Wednesday, December 2, 2015

This Land is Your Land



When I read about Woody Guthrie's life, I found that he spent large amount of time wandering about: hitch hiking, riding freight trains, singing his songs and sharing his music as he went. This piece was inspired by the dust bowl and the constant pull he felt to keep going, to keep wandering.

At first, Guthrie's wanderlust automatically made me think back to Leadbelly and the question of "Who is Leadbelly?" I thought that perhaps Guthrie's inability to stay in one place had something to do with his inability to find himself. Then I realized that Guthrie really was just content moving about. Wandering was a part of him.

The colors and textures I used were inspired by the material I found about Guthrie. I didn't really have a plan when I began the piece, but I think that that's fitting for him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment